Dog Physics Lesson One

Dog Physics Lesson One
"Dogs at rest tend to remain at rest..."

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Team Connemara


“Hey! Is THAT a CONNEMARA?!” yelled a voice from somewhere in the vicinity of my right stirrup . I was waiting to enter the ring at a local horse show that summer day and I nearly fell off Paddy in surprise; could it be that someone out there actually knew what he was, rather than guessing Arabian, Quarter Horse or “ I-Have-No-Idea”? I turned in the saddle and recognized fellow pony rider Martha Slamer, and we simultaneously cracked up. Obviously she was a kindred spirit who had been through the same kind of quizzing. We chatted for a few minutes and then went on to show in our respective classes.

For over 30 years my riding experiences had consisted mainly of pounding the local trails with a variety of gaited horses. I suppose you might call what happened next a midlife crisis, except that it wasn’t traumatic; on the contrary, the idea occurred to me out of the blue one day that I ought to consider a complete change of pace: purchasing a Connemara Pony. I soon found myself at Grey Haven Farm outside of Middletown, Ohio - as luck would have it, barely 2 miles from my house. It is my sincere belief that the farm’s owner, my friend Brenda Kiniyalocts, was channeling the spirit of some long-dead matchmaker.

“You might like Paddy,” she said, considering me thoughtfully . This was in the spring of 2004; I was looking for a nice, steady mount for competitive trail rides after my current partner, Ebony, was diagnosed with early navicular disease. Brenda brought out a lovely bay four year old gelding with a little bit of bling splashed down his face in the shape of an irregular blaze, and bloodlines that included Springledge Irish Whiskey, the Connemara stallion that completed the 100 mile Tevis Cup endurance ride eight times. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. Paddy ( formally, Grey Haven Padraig MacDaire - Grey Haven Colin O’Patrick x Maplehurst Leah MacDaire) has been my trusted partner in a variety of activities ever since.

“You should meet Martha Slamer, “ Brenda the matchmaker said a few months later. “She lives close to you, and I think you’d really like each other. You’d learn a lot from her.” This pronouncement took place at the 2004 Region V Connemara show in Edinburgh, Indiana, the the first region show I attended with Paddy (and gosh , were we ever newbies!). Brenda pointed out a tall, thin rider who was methodically convincing a tall, thin pony that he really did want to perform a dressage test. I promised Brenda that I would look her up, but it was a busy show and the only times my path crossed Martha’s at that event were during the classes in which she soundly trounced me.

I regret to say the exact details of that momentous occasion when Martha and I actually made it a point to get acquainted have been lost to history but I believe it was when she approached me and uttered those fateful words, “Hey, is that a Connemara?!” In any case, eventually we both heeded Brenda’s prodding enough to schedule a trail ride together, and glory be, we rode alike! There was no dinking around at a walk, no getting off the horse to pick up a penny – we flew around the 11-mile trail loop like the two middle-aged bats out of hell, laughing and chatting all the way. Our ponies barely had time to sniff noses; but I think at the time Martha was still riding Sam (Foothill’s Houston: Balmullo’s Beacon x Foothill’s River Queen), the young grey gelding I had seen her on at the Region show. We talked a lot about competitive trail riding and she thought she might like to try it , so the following summer I guided her through the particulars of a local novice ride of about 15 miles. We placed respectably and had a great time, so much so that we began discussing future outings. Modesty prevents me from mentioning exactly who came up with the name, but at about that time “Team Connemara” was born.

Martha took Paddy in hand the summer I got married, introducing him to the sport of eventing. They placed successfully in several recognized horse trials while I was dealing with trials of another sort (moving a husband - and his stuff - from New Jersey to Ohio). Even more impressive was the fact that it was Martha who finally managed to convince me to take up dressage, a discipline with which I have a love-hate relationship to this day - but it has definitely made Paddy a better mount, and me a better rider. I always swore I’d never do it, but here we are, white breeches and all.

If we had to write a statement of purpose, I would say that Team Connemara – Martha, me, sometimes Martha’s daughter Sarah, my faithful Paddy and whatever ponies the Slamers are training at the time – exists to “get the ponies out there.” In addition to competitive trail rides, we have teamed up for nearby hunter pace and chase events and traveled to countless local shows, where once in a while now, if I work hard enough and the stars are aligned correctly, I even beat Martha ( which is kind of sweet!). On occasions when we could all get our acts together, we’ve traveled to more distant venues, including our memorable trip to the Midwest Connemara Breeders’ Show in Peotone Illinois last summer (that time Team Connemara also included two of the Slamers’ dogs; one cat stowaway – obviously a Team Connemara wannabe – was unceremoniously ushered back to the farm from their truck when she was discovered, about 10 yards out of the driveway….). We’ve amassed great memories – the Illinois show’s successes were nicely topped off watching Journey power Martha over 3’6” fences in the Gamblers’ Choice competition; my “most fun” moment this year came during a schooling show as I was cantering through the courtesy circle prior to jumping a course: hearing a teenage girl exclaim, as only a teenage girl can, “that pony is sooooooooooooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!” To which I thought in answer “and he can jump, too. Watch this!” Through a variety of competitions and challenges we have become true believers in the Connemara breed: their handiness, their versatility and above all their self-posessed sanity and reasonable attitude. What great ponies! Added bonus: we’ve also become real friends.

Which brings us up to Team Connemara version 4.0. Wonderful Paddy is still hauling me over jumps and trails; Martha now owns Loughlin’s Journey (Rosemont Irish Abbey x Elphin April Showers), and is bringing along Springhill’s Liam (Annilaun Oscar x Chilham Eclipse); Sarah is training her halfbred filly Lark’s Gamin, sired by Brenda Kiniyalocts’ stallion *Robuck and out of Sarah’s thoroughbred mare Malarky. (We have all become “horse-in-laws” around here: this one owns that horse – so and so’s gelding’s brother – who’s being trained for someone else, who’s boarding that one’s horse till it’s sold, - etc. It’s more convoluted than a line of Celtic knotwork, but if you hang around long enough, it all begins to make sense). Just a few months ago Brenda gave me “the matchmaker look” again and said “You’d really like Lily. She’s very special and I would love for her to have a good home.” And because I’ve learned to pay attention to Brenda, it wasn’t long before 9 year old dapple grey Hillside Lily Brown (*Bobby Brown x Moxley Cream Soda) had moved in, stepping into her role of Queen of the Pasture as though it were tailor-made for her, bossing the boys around like any self-respecting mare should do. With her quick ways and all-business attitude, she promises to be a whole other kind of fun.

What’s next for this intrepid group of Connemara fans? Stay tuned! We’re hoping to move up and out this year. We’ll be checking out some nearby A-rated hunter/jumper shows – in fact, we’ve got a “recon mission” planned soon, to see what that level requires in terms of tack, clothing, etc. (“It will probably cost money,” Steph realized with a resigned sigh…….). If all goes well, we’ll be loading up the camper again for some distant venues too. And if we’re lucky enough to be chosen, you just might meet us among those who serve as representatives of the breed at the World Equestrian Games at Kentucky Horse Park this year. So keep your eyes peeled for those “Team Connemara” shirts . And if you hear someone yelling , “HEY – is that a CONNEMARA?” followed by hysterical cackling laughter, don’t worry – it’s us!

(Note: for more information on this wonderful breed, go to the American Connemara Pony Society website: http://www.acps.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment