Dog Physics Lesson One

Dog Physics Lesson One
"Dogs at rest tend to remain at rest..."

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Living the Big Bang Theory


Recently we discovered the CBS comedy show that airs Monday nights called The Big Bang Theory (ok, so it's in its third season; we're kind of late-blooming fans on this one!). This has become my favorite show since the best days of Friends, and in some ways it's better because while it's a bit difficult to relate to young, beautiful people living in NYC, it's not too much of a challenge to understand the geek/nerd/dork humor when you, well, live it, along with your friends and loved ones. To wit, the following examples:

One, I am sitting at Mom's kitchen table relating the subject of a meeting I attended recently. Among the committee members were - besides Yours Truly - a bank officer, a doctor, and a Ph.D. from Miami. Mom and Keith asked about my contribution to the discussion and I said, "I really didn't have much to say. I'm kind of intimidated being in the presence of people who have "Dr." in front of their names." Pause. "Oh, wait...that's me." Such is my perception of myself...


Two, I email a friend (and by the term "Friend" I also include him in the subset of my acquaintances you could label "Geek/Nerd/Dork" - and as he is a self-proclaimed geek I am sure he will a) not mind and b)recognize himself....anyway, where was I? Oh yes, I emailed him to ask if HE ever watched Big Bang Theory and you know what his answer was? I quote, for posterity: "I have not seen Big Bang Theory; it comes on at about the time I have regular session of online gaming each week." The response was better than I could have hoped - in fact, classic! Could something scripted in a BBT episode be any MORE geeky? Or in the words of Chandler Bing from Friends, "could that BE any more ironic?"

Finally, last night I was standing outside on the patio with Keith, looking at the snow (still) coming down and at the prodigious icicles hanging off Mom's house. Despite the cold temperatures (a given, since it was snowing!) and blowing wind, the icicles were melting, to which the quiet but persistant drip -drip -drip
bore witness. "Oh look, " I said in wonder "it's melting! But how can this be happening? Is it a sign that despite everything (i.e. snow up to our eyeballs!) spring's coming?" (Ok, so that was a "duh" moment for me...). Keith, ever the rational one, looks up and goes, "no, it's because your mom's roof is warm under the snow." He missed the moment! We could have done a Rite of Spring dance - or something.

But of course he was right.

Gotta love it.

1 comment: